Another year is about to pass and with it mixed memories of times, sometimes enjoyable, sometimes sad, sometimes memorable, but for the most part quite ordinary. One event out of the ordinary and one which brought an end to an ancient association stretching back centuries was the departure of the Dominican Order from Athy just before the year started. Dominican priests had been celebrating mass in the town of Athy since 1257. On Sunday, 22nd November 2015 the Dominican church at the end of Convent Lane was the scene of the last mass to be celebrated by a member of the Dominican Order in the town of Athy.
The Dominican Church which opened on St. Patrick’s Day 1965 represented a significant development in Irish Church Architecture. Now deconsecrated, it will in the coming year house the town library and as such will continue to contribute to the cultural heritage of the area.
The first photograph shows the Dominican Church which was replaced in 1965 and the Dominican Priory which as Riversdale House , the private residence of the Mansergh Family, was purchased by the Dominicans in 1846 and adapted for us by the Dominican Order between 1846 and 1850. The second photograph is of the interior of the Church which was replaced in 1965.