Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Photo Social Club Players



A few weeks ago I made a brief reference to the Social Club which many of you will remember was based in St. John’s Lane.  This week I reproduce a photograph taken in the Social Club featuring Dr. Noel Browne and Robert Browne.  Dr. Noel Browne was Minister for Health from February 1948 until April 1951 when he resigned over the Mother and Child Scheme.  Briscoe, the son of a Lithuanian Orthodox Jew was, like Browne, a member of the Dáil.  I believe the photograph was taken during Browne’s period as Minister for Health, but what was the occasion  which brought the Clann na Poblachta Minister and the Fianna Fáil T.D. to Athy’s Social Club I cannot say.  I’m sure there are many readers of the column who can identify the occasion as well as all those in the photograph.

I recognise John and Dolly Stafford, Paddy and Nora Dooley, M.G. Nolan, Andy Cleary, Paddy Timpson, Liam and Noreen Ryan but also see many other familiar faces to which I cannot put names.

I would like to hear from you if you can help identify all or any of those featured in this weeks photograph.

No comments: